Plaster Work · Plastics · String

Workshop- (main project) Samples

At the start of this Workshop module we were given the theme of pairs or multiples in which to create work around. Unfortunately I missed quite a lot of the initial skills tutorials due to illness so I had to come up with an idea for this theme based upon the skills I already had. Many of the students on this module decided to carry on with the idea of life casting, however I felt that I had more of an interest in press moulding so that was the aspect that I chose to continue with. I also wanted to carry on using the MIG and TIG welders as I am interested in Metal work for my  future career.

To start off with I was interested in the textures that I could produce using Press-moulding so I did some sample tiles using different materials, these are shown below:

Through doing these samples I realised that I could inlay objects into the plaster but only the flat areas can be seen, I also realised that some string textures can be picked up really well. I didn’t care for the look of the wire and the scriber marks though.

I then wondered if I could make a press-mould that isn’t flat, I experimented below:

I realised that this shape does work, however the Plaster needed to be re-inforced to make it stronger, also in this shape it is much more prone to cracking. Despite this I wanted to experiment further…..

I wanted to know how easy it would be to inlay pieces of metal through the Plaster that I could later weld so I did another set of samples as shown below.

Here is the flat set:

I realised from these that you can’t see fine string as well, especially as the wire adds another element to look at.

Here is the curved sample:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I took this cast out too quickly before it had fully set (need to leave for about an hour rather than half) and as a result of this it cracked in the middle curved section. I realised how much this sample looks like a creature, perhaps a centipede. Although that has quite an appealing quality I wanted to move away from figurative work for this particular project.

Through making both sets of samples I learned that the wire can still twist and turn inside the plaster and would need to be wound around itself if I was to continue making the same type of work.

I decided that I wanted to look into consumerism more for this project so I looked into inlaying bottle tops into the plaster for some of the pieces. I also realised that using string to press mould on a larger scale isn’t eye catching enough. I then produced some sample inlaying tiles, as shown.

I decided from these samples that I like the flat bottle tops with their flat side down, with the layered bottle tops with their hollow side down and with the metal tops both ways. If you look in the last image you can see the shape of a metal top, but its fallen out of the Plaster…. I really liked this effect. By combining all three I feel I’m really onto something that can accompany my press Moulding.

Finally I did one last testsample with a thicker piece of wire, this is shown below:

I wanted to make two halves of a press mould and see how easy it would be to place them together, due to the thickness of the wire it proved to be quite difficult and I realised that if I was to continue using this wire it would have to be one press mould rather than two halves.

Through doing these samples I feel I know enough about what I want to move forward to my final workshop project. Da Daaaa! 😀

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s